We have a bit of a tradition here at Left Brain Craft Brain. Every February when the winter seems like it will never end, we warm things up with a bit of STEAM. And STEM, too, with 28 Days of STEM Activities and STEAM Activities for Kids. Be sure to follow along this month as I share 60+ Science, Technology, Engineering, Art, & Math projects that will get your kids and your classrooms excited about learning again. I’ve partnered with a huge crew of creative bloggers and we’ll be sharing the coolest STEM & STEAM activities you’ll see all year.
This post contains affiliate links.
Why Do Kids Need STEM & STEAM?
STEM is the abbreviation for Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math. In STEAM we add an A for Art, too. Both are integrated approaches to learning that encourage students to think more broadly about real-world problems. This interdisciplinary approach has helped create innovations like the iPhone, the original laptop computer, and is even revolutionizing cooking in third world countries, and improving air quality as a result.
It helps students ask questions, connect the dots, problem solve, think creatively, and be innovative. And not only can STEAM save the world, it can save our kids too by making their future bright. STEM jobs are expected to grow by 16% in the US between 2014 and 2024 compared to only 11% for other sectors*. And right now, science & engineering careers earn more than double the income of the median job in the United States.*
So let’s get more science, technology, engineering, art, and math into our kids’ lives. Ready for the fun?!?
You’re Gonna Love 28 Days of STEM Activities and STEAM Activities for Kids
This year we’re doing the weekly topics a little bit differently… I hear a lot from readers asking for a tech project or an art project for their kids or students. So this year we’re going to round-up some amazing projects with a focus on each of the buckets in STEM & STEAM. But don’t worry, they’re still going to be integrated projects that check off more than one bucket!
Science Activities for Kids
Experimentation is one of the foundations of STEM. Check out these amazing science projects for kids!
Check out descriptions and pictures of all of these posts and more amazing Science Projects for Kids in this round-up!
February 1st – 6th
- Kitchen Science Experiments for Kids || Left Brain Craft Brain
- Lemon Battery & Lime Light || BabbleDabble Do
- Egg Painting with Vinegar || iGameMom
- Inflate a Balloon || Science Kiddo
- Explore Force & Motion with STEAM Activities for Kids || Kids STEAM Lab
- Creating the Olympic Flame in a Bottle || JDaniel4’s Mom
- Crime Scene Science Lab Lesson || Teach Beside Me
- Indoor Soil Science and Engineering Challenge || One Time Through
- Wood Bending Bracelet Craft – Magic or Science? || Figment Creative Labs
- Peeps Playdough and Heart Engineering Challenge || The Preschool Toolbox
- Homemade Pan Flutes for Kids || Buggy and Buddy
- Easy Anemometer Kids Can Make || Capri + 3
- Animal Tracks Measuring Activity || Line Upon Line Learning
- Build a Functioning Heart Model || STEAM Powered Family
Need Help While School is Out?
Check out our Boredom Buster Activity Plan! I pulled together a TOTALLY FREE activity plan for you to do at home with the kids. It’s filled with entertaining hands-on STEAM projects, printables, snack ideas, and most of all it’s filled with FUN. Plus, you’ll have all the supplies you need on hand (or in the backyard!).
Download your FREE
Technology Activities for Kids
Coding, circuits, and computers, oh my! The world of technology is our children’s future. Let’s get them ready with some fun activities! You can see descriptions and photos of all these activities in 20+ Technology Projects Your Kids Will Love.
February 7th – 11th
- Unicorn Color by Coding || Left Brain Craft Brain
- Lightning Bug Paper Circuits || Left Brain Craft Brain
- Electric Playdough || Babble Dabble Do
- How to Make a Coin Battery || Teach Beside Me
- Code Your Own Art Bot || Kids STEAM Lab
- Make a Light Up Paper Circuit Thaumatrope || One Time Through
- Paper Circuit Cards || Science Kiddo
- How to Build a Circuit Flower || STEAM Powered Family
- 3 Coding Games to Learn Shapes and Geometry with a Cool Coding Toy || iGameMom
- Electric Circuit Kids Valentine || JDaniel4’s Mom
Engineering Activities for Kids
Kids are born builders. Encourage those early skills with some engineering activities they’ll love. You can see photos and descriptions of all these activities and more in 50+ Awesome Engineering Projects for Kids.
February 12th – 17th
- Upcycled Suspension Bridge || Left Brain Craft Brain
- Earth Balancer || Babble Dabble Do
- How to Make a Windmill Model with a Printable Pattern || Adventure in a Box
- STEAM Challenge: Building a structure you can balance on your finger (or your nose) || Gift of Curiosity
- The Love Boat STEAM Engineering Challenge for Kids || The Preschool Toolbox
- STEAM Engineering for Kids: Making a Bubble Blower Machine || Teach Beside Me
- How to Teacher Preschoolers to Think Like a Engineer in 3 Easy Steps || Preschool STEAM
- Binary Code Bracelet that is Out of This World || JDaniel4’s Mom
- Make a Box Lid Maze for Awesome STEAM Fun || One Time Through
- Hexbug Habitat Engineering Challenge || Inspiration Laboratories
- Rubber Band Car DIY || Figment Creative Labs
- How to Build a Da Vinci Bridge with Pencils || iGame Mom
Get the kids creative juices flowing with some amazing art projects that have some science and engineering built in.
Download your FREE
Art Activities for Kids
Check out the entire pictures and descriptions for all the projects in this list of 40 of the Best Art Activities for Kids!
February 18th – 23rd
- Recycled Plastic Flowers Art and Science Project || Left Brain Craft Brain
- Frog Life Cycle Pom Pom Craft for Nature Studies || Adventure in a Box
- Reflection Art || Babble Dabble Do
- Bubble Painting with Dry Ice || The Science Kiddo
- Mystery Grid Art Challenge || Pink Stripey Socks
- Geometric Math Art with Circles || Teach Beside Me
- Color Mixing with Coding for Preschool Kids || iGame Mom
- Metal Art STEAM Project || STEAM Powered Family
- Fizzy Drip Painting || Capri +3
- Chromatography Art Project || Buggy and Buddy
- Collaborative Circle Painting to Build Community || Kids STEAM Lab
- Bird Art Sculptures || One Time Through
Math Activities for Kids
Don’t fall for the worksheet trap for math! Hands-on activities help kids really internalize what they’re working on and are a lot more fun. You can see photos and descriptions of all these activities in Math = Fun Math Activities for Kids.
February 24th – 28th
- Math Fact Building Cards || Left Brain Craft Brain
- Math Painted Coasters Homemade Gift || Left Brain Craft Brain
- String Art Geometry || Babble Dabble Do
- Monster Math Drawing Game || Adventure in a Box
- Origami Friendship Math Quilts || Pink Stripey Socks
- Switchgrip Math Game || STEAM Powered Family
- LEGO Movie Superhero Math || iGame Mom
Looking for some more STEAM inspiration that you can use right now? Instant gratification style? Check out STEAM Explorers!! The coolest new creative experience for kids is here! Think digital magazine meets online project portal in a safe, kid-friendly environment. (No more worrying about what might be hidden in that YouTube vid!) All engineer, teacher, and mom approved. And most definitely KID APPROVED!
- A monthly digital magazine with cool themes that's fun to read
- Hands-on, exciting projects the kids will love.
- Science, tech, engineering, art, and math learning YOU’LL love.
- Delicious recipes the kids can make.
- Fun printables and games
Check out our latest Sports issue, inspired by your favorite sports and the athletes who love them!
All packed up in an easy-to-do package, ready for kids ages 6-12 to have fun.
Follow Along with 28 Days of Hands-On STEM
Want to stay up to date on all the cool projects? I’ll be sharing them daily on the Left Brain Craft Brain Facebook page and pinning them to my Pinterest STEM board. Or come join the STEAM Kids Challenge on Instagram. We’ll be posting new projects and cool ideas every day.