There’s nothing better than an awesome experiment… Except when you add it to your favorite children’s book! These Book Inspired STEAM Activities will get the kids reading and learning some science, tech, engineering, art, & math. Start by grabbing one of these great children’s books and add in a fun STEAM extension!
This post contains affiliate links.
Why Book-Inspired STEAM?
Literacy is critical to success in life and obviously the first goal in introducing books to kids. But did you know that learning amplifies when you can integrate it with another subject? So when your kids do science or engineering projects inspired by books, they’re gaining more than if you did these two subjects separately. Plus, kids love Pete the Cat engineering and Giraffes Can’t Dance challenges!!
Here are a few of my favorite book inspired STEAM (science, technology, engineering, art, & math) projects for kids.
Book Inspired Science Activities
- Color Changing Lemonade (inspired by Ada Twist, Scientist) || Left Brain Craft Brain
- Rainbow Science (inspired by Rainbow of my Own) || Rhythms of Play
- Constellation Sun Prints (inspired by There’s No Place Like Space) || Figment Creative Labs
- STEAM / STEM Challenge (Inspired by Giraffes Can’t Dance) || Preschool Powol Packets
Book Inspired Technology & Engineering Activities
- Storytime LEGO Building Challenge || Left Brain Craft Brain
- Architectural STEM with the 3 Little Pigs (Inspired by The Three Little Pigs : An Architectural Tale || Little Bins for Little Hands
- Log Pile House Building Challenge (inspired by The Gruffalo) || Inspiration Laboratories
- Wiggle Pig (Inspired by Robot Army Rampage) || STEAM Powered Family
Rosie Revere, Engineer, and Andrea Beatty’s other books Iggy Peck, Architect and Ada Twist, Scientist are pretty much our favorite STEAM inspiring picture books out there. Here are a few building activities inspired by these books.
- 100 Invitations to Build (Inspired by Iggy Peck, Architect) || Left Brain Craft Brain
- Tinkering Station for Young Engineers || Left Brain Craft Brain
- Fantasy Structures (Inspired by Iggy Peck, Architect) || Flash Bugs Studio
Book Inspired Math Activities
- 10 Math Books and Tools to learn Measurement || Edventures with Kids
- Multiplication by 8 Spider Craft (inspired by Charlotte’s Web) || Thriving STEM
- Printable Pi Puzzle for Pi Day (inspired by Sir Cumference and the Dragon of Pi) || Teach Beside Me
More Book Inspired STEAM Activities
- Fun with Color Mixing (Inspired by Mix It Up) || Gift of Curiosity
- DIY Upcycled Guitar (inspired by Pete the Cat – Rocking in my School Shoes) || Preschool STEAM
- Simple Braille Slate and Stylus (inspired by Six Dots: A Story of Young Louis Braille) || Pink Stripey Socks
Hands-On Projects for Kids
Looking for some more STEAM inspiration that use can use right now? Instant gratification style? Check out STEAM Kids: 50+ Hands-on Science, Technology, Engineering, Art, & Math Hands-On Projects for Kids ebook! It’s packed full of a year’s worth fun learning activities that will wow the boredom right out of your kids.
28 Days of STEAM – More Learning Fun!
These projects are part of an amazing, month-long series of hands on STEAM projects for kids. Click on over to 28 Days of STEAM for 60+ FREE science, tech, engineering, art, and math projects from 30+ education writers. All ready to get your kids excited to learn.
2 thoughts on “Book Inspired STEAM Projects for Kids”
Pingback: The Coolest Summer STEAM Book List for Kids - Left Brain Craft Brain
Pingback: Top 25 Resources for Parents Looking for Extension Activities for Combined Learning with Books – bookle
Comments are closed.