I’m not a food blogger, I know… But I love food and I love capturing the things my family does on this blog. So this post is about my family’s Thanksgiving tradition: Sweet Potatoes in Orange Cups. The recipe is loaded with creamy sweet potatoes, the juicy tang of oranges and a touch of brown sugar and cinnamon. All crusted over with toasty marshmallows… Plus it’s a fun one for the kids to help you make! Many thanks to my local CSA, Farm Fresh to You, for providing the delicious, organic sweet potatoes for this recipe.
- 3 lbs. sweet potatoes
- 4 large oranges (6 if smaller)
- 2 T butter
- 1/2 cup cream or milk
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups mini marshmallows
- Preheat oven to 350º.
- Wash sweet potatoes and prick with a fork a few times. Place on a foil covered cookie sheet and bake for 45 minutes. A fork will slide easily to the center of the potatoes when they are done. If you feel some resistance, bake for another five minutes and check again. Repeat if necessary. Be sure to check all the potatoes because baking time differs based upon the size of your potatoes.
- While sweet potatoes are baking, wash oranges. Slice in half and juice them, setting aside juice for later. Then using your fingers, pull out the remaining pulp and pith (the white part) of the orange until you have a relatively clean rind. Set aside cups until you are ready to fill them.
- Once sweet potatoes are done roasting, let them enough to handle. Then slice open and scrape sweet potato flesh into a large mixing bowl.
- Add butter, cream, orange juice, brown sugar, cinnamon and salt to the sweet potatoes. Let butter melt a bit and then whip until fluffy with a hand or stand mixer. Taste and then re-season as necessary.
- Place orange cups in an 9″ x 13″ baking pan. Fill each cup to the top with the sweet potato mixture and top with mini-marshmallows.
- Put oranges back in oven and bake for about 15 minutes until the sweet potatoes are hot and the marshmallows are nicely toasted.
Interested in saving a bit of $$ off your first box of fresh, organic produce delivered to your door? To save $10, check out Farm Fresh To You, use the promo code ANNE5694 when you check out. FYI, I received compensation for this post from Farm Fresh to You, but I’m a huge fan anyway and subscribed before this post. All of these opinions are most definitely my own.