February. The weather’s gloomy. It’s a long way until spring break. But don’t let the February slump get to you!! Inject some excitement into your world with 28 Days of STEAM Projects for Kids!! This month I’m sharing 60+ Science, Technology, Engineering, Art, & Math projects that will get your kids and your classrooms excited about learning again. So follow along this month as a huge crew of activity bloggers and I share some cool ideas on printables, nature, storybooks, science fairs and more.
This post contains affiliate links.
Why STEAM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Art, & Math)?
STEAM is the abbreviation for Science, Technology, Engineering, Art & Math. It’s an integrated approach to learning that encourages students to think more broadly about real-world problems. This interdisciplinary approach has helped create innovations like the iPhone, the original laptop computer, and is even revolutionizing cooking in third world countries, and improving air quality as a result.
It helps students ask questions, connect the dots, problem solve, think creatively, and be innovative. And not only can STEAM save the world, it can save our kids too by making their future bright. STEM jobs are expected to grow by 16% in the US between 2014 and 2024 compared to only 11% for other sectors*. And right now, science & engineering careers earn more than double the income of the median job in the United States.*
So let’s get more STEAM into our kids’ lives. Ready for the fun?!?
Hands-on projects are awesome for exciting kids into learning. Printables are awesome for their ease of use. Hands-on learning printables? They’re the holy grail. Fun, exciting activities that the kids really get into, plus all the stuff you want to make it easy for you.
- Watercolor Houses || Left Brain Craft Brain
- DIY Gliding Foam Airplanes || Adventure in a Box
- Valentine Volcano Printable Cards || Edventures with Kids
- Hands-On Coding Games for Preschoolers || Preschool STEAM
- Algorithm Coding Game || Little Bins for Little Hands
- Fox and Goose Game || What Do We Do All Day?
- 5 Crucial Coding Skills You Can Teach Kids at Home || iGameMom
- Advanced Patterns Worksheets || Gift of Curiosity
- Coding Puzzle Crackers – ASCII Binary Code Puzzle Game || STEAM Powered Family
- Valentine Pattern Block Challenge Cards || You Clever Monkey
- Animals in Winter: Migration, Hibernation & Adaptation in Spanish || The Natural Homeschool
- Lock and Key Addition Puzzles for Kids || Teach Beside Me
- Unicorn Magic: A Screen-free Coding Game || Preschool Powol Packets
Science Fair Projects
It’s almost spring. And that means science fairs!!! Check out this list for projects that will wow the judges.
- Melting Ice Experiment || The Chaos and the Clutter
- Plant Science Experiments for Kids || iGameMom
- Energy Efficient Windows Science Fair Project || Schooling a Monkey
- Build a Potato Battery || STEAM Powered Family
- Fruit Enzymes Gelatin Experiment || Teach Beside Me
Book-Inspired STEAM Activities
We love projects that tie literacy together with another subject. These Book Inspired STEAM activities will get the kids reading and learning some science, tech, engineering, art, & math.
- 10 Math Books and Tools to learn Measurement || Edventures with Kids
- Architectural STEM with the 3 Little Pigs (Inspired by The Three Little Pigs : An Architectural Tale || Little Bins for Little Hands
- DIY Upcycled Guitar (inspired by Pete the Cat – Rocking in my School Shoes) || Preschool STEAM
- Multiplication by 8 Spider Craft (inspired by Charlotte’s Web) || Thriving STEM
- Rainbow Science (inspired by Rainbow of my Own) || Rhythms of Play
- Constellation Sun Prints (inspired by There’s No Place Like Space) || Wee Warhols
- Simple Braille Slate and Stylus (inspired by Six Dots: A Story of Young Louis Braille) || Pink Stripey Socks
- STEAM / STEM Challenge (Inspired by Giraffes Can’t Dance) || Preschool Powol Packets
- Fantasy Structures (Inspired by Iggy Peck, Architect) || Flash Bugs Studio
- Wiggle Pig (Inspired by Robot Army Rampage) || STEAM Powered Family
- Fun with Color Mixing (Inspired by Mix It Up) || Gift of Curiosity
- Log Pile House Building Challenge (inspired by The Gruffalo) || Inspiration Laboratories
- || A Little Pinch of Perfect
- || Living Life and Learning
- || Teach Beside Me
Nature STEAM Projects
Nature is amazing. Beautiful. Intriguing. And an amazing teacher. These projects build on the wonders that are nature.
- || Left Brain Craft Brain
- || The Gingerbread House
- || Edventures with Kids
- || Wee Warhols
- || Rhythms of Play
- || Natural Beach Living
- || Share It! Science
- || The Natural Homeschool
- || iGameMom
- || STEAM Powered Family
- || Gift of Curiosity
- || Schooling a Monkey
- || Little Bins for Little Hands
- || True Aim Education
- || Squiggles and Bubbles
- || Teach Beside Me
Need More STEAM?
28 days might not be enough :) How about a year’s worth of STEAM? Check out STEAM Kids, a book packed with 52 weeks of hands-on activities that will wow the boredom right out of kids!
Or pick up the PRINT VERSION ON AMAZON.
Follow Along with 28 Days of Hands-On STEM
Want to stay up to date on all the cool projects? I’ll be sharing them daily on the Left Brain Craft Brain Facebook page and pinning them to my Pinterest STEM board. Or come join the STEAM Kids Challenge on Instagram. We’ll be posting new projects and cool ideas every day.