Ready to inspire the engineer in your kiddo? Check out these super fun, hands-on STEM Challenges. You can find STEM learning in all sorts of places like the hardware store, the toy box and the laundry room. And each challenge gets kids thinking creatively, troubleshooting and actively ideating. And having so much fun they’ll forget they’re learning. These STEM Challenges are all from our second week of the 28 Days of Hands-On STEM Activities for Kids.
Why Should Kids Try STEM Challenges?
First, what is a STEM Challenge? It’s a project that gets kids to explore, design, test, repeat in science, technology, engineering or math. Why should you care? Because STEM challenges are all about the thought process and thinking like a STEMist improves problem solving in all areas of life.
First up are the tinkering challenges. These are projects that get kids to think creatively
- Hardware Store STEM Scavenger Hunt || Left Brain Craft Brain
- Make it Move! Challenge || STEAM Powered Family
- Mondrian Playdough Challenge || The Preschool Toolbox
- DIY Electric Tinkering Kit || Planet Smarty Pants
- Paper Bag STEM Challenge || Little Bins for Little Hands
Next are the building challenges. These projects take classic LEGOs to the next level with architecture and encourage kids to take their building on the road.
- Bridge Building Challenge || Mama Smiles
- Build a 3D Structure || Go Science Girls
- Build a Bedroom Model || Line Upon Line Learning
- Invitation to Build a Frozen Tower || Playground Parkbench
- Conversation Heart Tower || Math Geek Mama
- LEGO Engineering Preschool Challenge || Preschool Powol Packets
- Travel Playdough Engineering Kit || Lemon Lime Adventures
Finally we have the science challenges. These are fun activities that help reinforce basic science principles like magnetism and refraction.
- Magnetic Superhero Challenge || Handmade Kids Art
- How to Bend a Pencil Without Breaking It || Edventures with Kids
- Simple Pendulum Experiment || JDaniel4’s Mom
28 Days of Hands-On STEM Activities for Kids
These STEM Goes Green activities are part of an amazing series of hands-on STEM activities for kids. I’ve joined up with 28 other bloggers and we’re creating 60+ fun science, technology, engineering & math activities. Each week is a different topic: STEM Goes Green, STEM Challenges, Coding for Kids & STEM On the Cheap. Click here for the full list of activities or check out our first week’s topic: STEM Goes Green.
The BIGGEST SALE OF THE YEAR!!
Looking for some more STEAM inspiration that you can use right now? Instant gratification style? It's the Back to School STEAM Bundle! 93% off 55 amazing STEAM digital resources from 35 amazing educational creators. Need hands-on activities? They're in the bundle. Need math worksheets? They're in the bundle. Need science experiments? It's got those too. $540 worth of product for only $34.99. Perfect for kids ages 3 to 12. Or pick up the Little Learners bundle for ages 3 to 7 or Big Learners Bundle for ages 8 to 12.
This is the hottest sale of the year! But you have to act fast, it ends at midnight on 8/15/19.