There’s a lot of talk about what languages we will need to know ten, twenty, even fifty years from now. I know that my daughter, she definitely will be better off if she can speak computer. Coding that is. Here are a bunch of ways to help your kids speak the language of the future. Apps, games, screen-free options and more!
Coding Resources for Kids
I love how many coding resources are out there these days! My blogger friends have gone through and reviewed some for you as well as outlined a few ways to help your kids enjoy coding and be successful.
- How to Create a Virtual Journal with HTML || Go Science Girls
- Teaching Girls to Code || Planet Smarty Pants
- Free Websites That Teach Coding for Kids || Preschool Powol Packets
- Fun Ways Kids Can Learn to Code || Mama Smiles
- Middle School Coding Projects for Beginners || Look! We’re Learning!
- Beyond the Code: Skills for Coders || STEAM Powered Family
Also, be sure to check out the Hour of Code. It’s a worldwide initiative to get more kids coding and interested in computer science. On code.org, they have easy, one hour activities, perfect for getting kids programming.
Screen-Free Coding for Kids
Limiting screen time for the kids? Don’t have enough computers for the whole class? Don’t worry! There are a lot of fun ways to learn the principles of coding without using a computer.
- If-Then Coding Game for Kids || Left Brain Craft Brain
- Build an Algorithm on the Floor || JDaniel4’s Mom
- Coding a LEGO Maze || Research Parent
- Birthday Binary Code || Handmade Kids Art
- Coding Quiet Book || Nerdy Mama
- Screen Free Coding for Preschool & Kindergarten || Science Kiddo
- Superhero Coding Game || Little Bins for Little Hands
28 Days of Hands-On STEM Activities for Kids
These Coding for Kids activities are part of an amazing series of hands-on STEM activities for kids. I’ve joined up with 28 other bloggers and we’re creating 60+ fun science, technology, engineering & math activities. Each week is a different topic: STEM Goes Green, STEM Challenges, Coding for Kids & STEM On the Cheap. Click here for the full list of activities or check out our first two week’s topics: STEM Goes Green and STEM Challenges.
Science, Tech, Engineering, Art, and Math Fun for Kids
Looking for some more STEAM inspiration that you can use right now? Instant gratification style? Check out STEAM Explorers!! The coolest new creative experience for kids is here! Think digital magazine meets online project portal in a safe, kid-friendly environment. (No more worrying about what might be hidden in that YouTube vid!) All engineer, teacher, and mom approved. And most definitely KID APPROVED!
- Monthly digital magazine with cool themes that's fun to read
- Hands-on, exciting projects the kids will love.
- Science, tech, engineering, art, and math learning YOU’LL love.
- Delicious recipes the kids can make.
- Fun printables and games
- Entertaining videos
All packed up in an easy to do package, ready for kids ages 5-12 to have fun.