This is the mega monster of STEAM posts. It’s a list of some of the coolest science, technology, engineering, art and math projects from some of the most creative bloggers out there, the STEAM Kids crew. Plus, all of the projects help feed the senses while kids play and learn. Get ready to have some fun!
To help you navigate this amazing list of activities, here’s a table of contents to help you jump to your favorite sense.
Sensing STEAM Table of Contents
SEE STEAM Activities for Kids
Look and learn! From patterned math art to the easiest magnifying glass you could ever make, these projects help kids learn while they see.
- How to Make a Magnetic Field Sensory Bottle || Left Brain Craft Brain
- How to Make a Magnifying Glass for Outdoor Exploration || One Time Through
- Old School Fun: Make a Thaumatrope || What Do We Do All Day?
- How to Make a Simple Kaleidoscope for Kids || Little Bins for Little Hands
- Number Chart Art || Pink Stripey Socks
- Print and Color Tessellation Puzzles || Frugal Fun For Boys
- Emoji Thaumatrope Optical Illusions || Left Brain Craft Brain
FEEL STEAM Activities for Kids
Buggy and squishy and stretchy and architectural projects make learning about STEAM fun.
- CD Case Travel Geoboard || Left Brain Craft Brain
- Easy and Colorful Magnetic Sculptures || Pink Stripey Socks
- Encourage Your Inventor with Creative Pool Noodle STEAM Fun || One Time Through
- String and Bead Puzzle || What Do We Do All Day
- 4 Engineering Challenges for Kids with Craft Sticks, Cups and Cubes || Frugal Fun For Boys
- Slug Slime Races || Lemon Lime Adventures
- Gelatin Streaking || Babble Dabble Do
- Quick and Easy Non-Newtonian Fluid Activity || Little Bins for Little Hands
SMELL STEAM Activities for Kids
Aromas make learning a lot more interesting! Especially when they are bubbly chemical reactions, artsy stuff, or show how your eyes can trick your nose.
- How What We See Changes What We Smell || Left Brain Craft Brain
- Lemon Volcanoes || Babble Dabble Do
- Scented Milk Carton Candles || What Do We Do All Day
- Citrus Chemical Reactions || Little Bins for Little Hands
- Spicy Process Art and Math || One Time Through
TASTE STEAM Activities for Kids
This is the yummiest section of them all. There’s ice cream, exploding food and colorful candy (oh and some healthy stuff too!).
- The Biology of Yogurt || Left Brain Craft Brain
- Seedy CD Art and Science || One Time Through
- Color Theory Candies || Babble Dabble Do
- Ice Cream in a Bag || What Do We Do All Day?
- Edible Gelatin Slime || Little Bins for Little Hands
- Make Your Own “Exploding” Chocolate Candy || Pink Stripey Socks
HEAR STEAM Activities for Kids
Do you hear that? That’s your kids learning and having fun :)
- Modern Art Steady Hand Game || Left Brain Craft Brain
- DIY Voicepipe || Babble Dabble Do
- How to Learn from a Failed Experiment || One Time Through
- Tonoscope Sound Science Experiment || Left Brain Craft Brain
- Twirling Buzzing Noise Maker || What Do We Do All Day
- Build a Water Xylophone || Pink Stripey Socks
- Salt Vibrations: Sound You Can See || Frugal Fun for Boys
- Exploring Viscosity with Pop Rocks Science || Little Bins for Little Hands
More STEAM Fun for Kids
All of these cool play & learn activities were part of a blog series we had this summer called Summer STEAM Camp. But they make for great learning all year round!
Looking for some more STEAM inspiration that you can use right now? Instant gratification style? Check out STEAM Explorers!! The coolest creative experience for kids is here! It's a digital book of the month club filled with tons of fun stuff for the kids to do and learn. All engineer, teacher, and mom-approved. And most definitely KID APPROVED!
- A monthly digital magazine with cool themes that are fun to read
- Hands-on, exciting projects the kids will love.
- Science, tech, engineering, art, and math learning YOU’LL love.
- Delicious recipes the kids can make.
- Fun printables and games
In February we're having fun with spy-themed STEAM! The kids will love building a super-secret highlighter flashlight, making I Spy art, leaving their mark on sweet treats, and using science to catch a spy. You’ll love the helpful standards-based learning, printables, and tools that make STEAM exploration easy!
We’ve split the issue into four weekly themes:
- This issue has four weekly themes to inspire your kiddos:
- WEEK 1: HIDE IN PLAIN SIGHT
- WEEK 2: KEEPING SECRETS
- WEEK 3: UNDERCOVER GADGETS
- WEEK 4: CATCH A SPY