Nothing says Halloween and October time like spiders. Kids love them during the fall. They want to decorate their rooms with them, play pranks with them, and spiders are included in every Halloween drawing. Plus they’re crawling all around outside and if your house is like mine, probably inside, too… Spiders just scream Halloween fun. That’s why I compiled a list of Spider Activities you can do with the kiddos this Halloween season. You’ll find everything from arts & crafts, to science & engineering in this spider-filled list.
Spider Arts & Crafts
Let’s start off this mega list with some fun art and craft projects! First up is my favorite :) Spider Web Weaving. It’s a great project for integrating art and science into STEAM.
- Spider Web Weaving | Left Brain Craft Brain
- Kirigami Spider Webs | Babble Dabble Do
- Spider Process Art | Fantastic Fun and Learning
- Movable Spider | Easy Peasy and Fun
- Spider Headbands | Fantastic Fun and Learning
- Pinecone Spiders | Fireflies and Mudpies
A Little Spider Science…
Since we’re talking spiders, how about a little science to add to your activity session?
Spiders are carnivorous, 8-legged creatures in the arachnid family. They can be found in all parts of the world. All spiders have fangs and many have venom in them, but most spiders are not poisonous to humans.
Why do spiders weave webs?
Every spider spins silk but only some spin webs. Spiders spin webs to climb, to live in, to catch their prey, to protect themselves, and to create egg sacs. The webs are made of silk that the spider produces in silk glands and ejects through its leg. The webs vibrate and let them know that something has entered the web. Different spiders spin their webs in different ways. Orb spiders spin their webs in spirals. They first weave base supports that connect the web to branches, rocks, buildings, and more. Then they finish their web with sticky silk they spiral around the web supports. This sticky silk catches other insects.
Spider Science & Engineering
Spiders are some of nature’s most gifted builders! So of course we had to incorporate some science and engineering into this list of spider-themed activities.
- Spider Bot | The Bot Book
- Spider Web Hanger STEM Challenge | JDaniels4sMom
- Insect Hotel | Babble Dabble Do
- Fizzy Spider Webs | Inspiration Laboratories
- Straw and Pipe Cleaner Spider Web | Teach Beside Me
- Magnetic Spider Web Challenge | Preschool STEAM
- Life Cycle of a Spider Coding | JDaniels4sMom
Spider Sensory Play
Here are a few fun spider sensory play activities that are perfect brain breaks for spider months!
- Spider Playdoh | Fantastic Fun and Learning
- Spider Slime | Fun at Home
- Glow in the Dark Spider Web | Still Playing School
- Spider Web Slime | Joy-Filled Life
Math Spider Activities
Add a fun theme to math practice with these spider math activities.
- Spider Number Matching | Pre-K Pages
- Spider Math Book | Fun A Day
- Making Patterns | Pre-K Pages
- Spider Counting Sheets | Fun Learning for Kids
- Catch a Spider | Party Through the USA
Halloween Activities for Kids
Looking for some more STEAM inspiration that you can use right now? Instant gratification style? Check out STEAM Explorers!! The coolest creative experience for kids is here! It's a digital book of the month club filled with tons of fun stuff for the kids to do and learn. All engineer, teacher, and mom-approved. And most definitely KID APPROVED!
- A monthly digital magazine with cool themes that are fun to read
- Hands-on, exciting projects the kids will love.
- Science, tech, engineering, art, and math learning YOU’LL love.
- Delicious recipes the kids can make.
- Fun printables and games
Get ready to have fun with hands-on STEAM this Halloween! Join us this October as we investigate bats, brains, spiders, candy, and pumpkins through hands-on STEAM!The kids will love building a spider bot, getting grossed out by delicious spider egg cookies, and learning about the brain with hands-on play.
We’ve split the issue into four weekly themes:
- WEEK 1: SENSATIONAL SPIDERS
- WEEK 2: PUMPKIN PROJECTS
- WEEK 3: SPOOKY STEAM
- WEEK 4: TRICK OR TREAT