Do you ever wish that you could make all the toys your kiddos have outgrown somehow become new again? I’ve got a closet full of them, waiting to be upcycled into something different. Including a bag full of Hot Wheels, all ready to become these creative and educational Upcycled Toy Car Marker Bots.
Upcycled Toy Car Marker Bots Supplies Needed (1 set per car)
Here’s what you need to make one of these cool cars. You need 1 set per car. (Please note: we are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.)
- Hot Wheel or other small race car
- Skinny washable marker
- AAA battery
- 1.5V hobby motor (and a dime if it doesn’t have a counterweight)
- Electrical tape
- Wire if the motor doesn’t have it already attached
- Craft or art paper
- Hot glue gun
Build You Toy Car Marker Bot
Let’s get building! The build portion is great for somewhat older kids because it’s a little challenging and uses a hot glue gun. For younger kids, I recommend making the car together and then having them do the art portion on their own.
- Attach a positive and negative wire to your hobby motor by feeding through the contact holes and taping with electrical tape. If your motor doesn’t have a counterweight, hot glue a dime to the rotor at about half way between the center and the edge. You want it to be off balance.
- Glue your motor to the top of your car. You can play around with the motor placement as the alignment controls the movement of the car. Then glue your marker to the car with the hot glue gun.
- Next, attach your battery to the motor with electrical tape and tape it to the car.
- Lay down your craft paper and let the cars loose!
Here they are in action!
View this post on Instagram
Today's #STEAMtable: Upcycled Toy Car Marker Bots. Apparently we're all things bots these days :) Search "Marker Bots" #ontheblog to see the tutorial. #BringingInnovation #ad #handsonlearning #recycled #InvitationtoLearn #InvitationtoPlay #InvitationtoBuild #instakids #kidbloggersofIG #playmatters #STEM #STEAM #bots #markerbots #robots #HotWheels #momsoninstagram #creativekids #youngengineers #engineeringforkids #skc_recycled
Many thanks to Housing a Forest for their awesome Marker Cars. I added motors to their idea of creative cars for some self-driving fun.
Got some more trash to play with? Check out these upcyled projects that inspire the engineer in your kiddo:
- DIY Recycled Suspension Bridge
- Tinkering Station for Young Engineers
- CD Case Travel Geoboard
- Balloon Car Derby
Science, Tech, Engineering, Art, and Math Fun for KidsLooking for some more STEAM inspiration that use can use right now? Instant gratification style? Check out STEAM Kids: 50+ Hands-on Science, Technology, Engineering, Art, & Math Hands-On Projects for Kids ebook! It’s packed full of a year’s worth fun learning activities that will wow the boredom right out of your kids.
Subscribe to our Newsletter!
Get more STEAM (science, technology, engineering, art, and math) right in your inbox!