This is a SCARY BIG post today!! You’ll get 25+ Spooky Science Activities for Halloween like candy experiments, slimy brains, and witch’s brews perfect for the kids. This list of Halloween science experiments is perfect for school, homeschool, spooky Halloween parties, and more!
25 Spooky Science Activities for Halloween
First up is my master list of Spooky Science Activities. Basically, it’s The Babe’s and my bucket list of science-y stuff to do between now and October 31. I’ll probably add a few to our annual Halloween bash for the kids, too. Nothing like some creepy mad scientist experiments or ghostly rockets to keep the fun going!
Body Part Science Activities
I thought I’d start with some of the spookiest of the science activities. Slice and dice, fizzle and freeze… Have fun with body part spooky science!
- Learn about the brain and have some spooky fun with 5 Messy Ways to Play Brain Surgeon from Left Brain Craft Brain.
- Build an Articulated Hand with this surprising tutorial from De Tout et De Rien.
- Make some googly Halloween Fizzing Eyeballs from Little Bins for Little Hands.
- Making these is just as fun as melting these Halloween Hands from Happy Hooligans.
- Explore anatomy with Felt Body Parts from Fun at Home with Kids. This would make a great Halloween costume!
Spooky Science Candy Activities
Need a way to get rid of some of those pumpkins full of trick-or-treat candy? Turn them into spooky science experiments!
- Explore Skittles, Snickers, and more with Halloween Candy Science Experiments from Left Brain Craft Brain.
- Find out how to float the M’s off of M&M’s with Candy Experiments from Mamas Like Me.
- Create some colorful Candy Potions with this activity from Housing a Forest.
- Separate your candy colors with Candy Chromatography from Kids Activities Blog.
- Hypothesize and test those fun-size candy bars with a Candy Bar Science Experiment from Reading Confetti.
- Explore science concepts with a Skittles Density Rainbow from Gift of Curiosity.
Mad Scientist Activities
It’s good to be a crazy scientist when you are a kid (or even a kid at heart). Here are some fun ways to do it.
- Conduct a crawly Creepy Density Experiment from Science Sparks.
- Play dress-up and do some science with the Mad Scientist Lab from Fireflies and Mudpies.
- Explore the properties of Vampire Blood with Inspiration Laboratories.
- Make some creepy Glowing Mad Science Jars from Growing a Jeweled Rose. This one has a great trick for making Glow Water!
- Play in a messy sensory bin and learn What is Blood Made of? with I Can Teach My Child.
Pumpkin Science Activities
Pumpkins, pumpkins everywhere!! Explore spooky science with Halloween’s favorite fruit! Did you know that a pumpkin is a fruit, not a vegetable?
- Make some Fizzing Pumpkin Treasure Rocks for a fun activity that is perfect for Halloween parties and after school.
- Build some Jack-o’-lantern Halloween Slime with this recipe from Left Brain Craft Brain.
- Create some Pumpkin Optical Illusions with these cards from KC Edventures.
- Study the life cycle of a pumpkin and conduct Pumpkin Seed Science Experiments with these ideas from Apples and ABC’s
- Play with some Bubbling Pumpkins: We filled The Babe’s Trick or Treat bucket with baking soda and watched the pumpkin bubble over when we added vinegar. Color the vinegar (we chose black) for extra spooky bubbles.
- Play with some extra messy, super seedy Pumpkin Oobleck from Sun Hats and Wellie Boots and learn all about non-Newtonian fluids.
- Watch that jack-o’-lantern rot with Pumpkin Decomposition Science from Gift of Curiosity.
Ghostly Science and Witches Brews
This Halloween you might have some little ghosts and witches running around your house. Give them some scary ways to explore spooky science!
- Launch some Flying Ghost Rockets from Growing a Jeweled Rose.
- Do some fun play in the bathroom sink with Messy Science Witch’s Brew from The Golden Gleam.
- Stir up some Witch’s Brew Color Mixing Experiment from The Outlaw Mom.
- Explore the power of gasses with Self-inflating Ghosts from Mama Smiles.
- Blow some spooky Boo Bubbles from Steve Spangler Science.
A few more fun spooky science ideas!
Make everyday fun with 31 Days of Halloween STEAM Challenges! To get a set of these free printable activity prompts, simply fill out the form below.
Have fun with Halloween Engineering Projects Too!
Even More! Halloween STEAM Fun for Kids
Looking for some more STEAM inspiration that you can use right now? Instant gratification style? Check out STEAM Explorers!! The coolest creative experience for kids is here! It's a digital book of the month club filled with tons of fun stuff for the kids to do and learn. All engineer, teacher, and mom-approved. And most definitely KID APPROVED!
- A monthly digital magazine with cool themes that are fun to read
- Hands-on, exciting projects the kids will love.
- Science, tech, engineering, art, and math learning YOU’LL love.
- Delicious recipes the kids can make.
- Fun printables and games
Get ready to have fun with hands-on STEAM this Halloween! Join us this October as we investigate bats, brains, spiders, candy, and pumpkins through hands-on STEAM!The kids will love building a spider bot, getting grossed out by delicious spider egg cookies, and learning about the brain with hands-on play.
We’ve split the issue into four weekly themes:
- WEEK 1: SENSATIONAL SPIDERS
- WEEK 2: PUMPKIN PROJECTS
- WEEK 3: SPOOKY STEAM
- WEEK 4: TRICK OR TREAT