I can’t tell you how excited I am… February’s going to be BIG!! There are 28 days (plus an extra for leap year this year) pack-filled with hands-on STEM activities for kids. I’ve partnered with some of my favorite bloggers and here’s a little math to show you just how BIG this is… 60 activities + 29 bloggers = an AHmazing month of hands-on science, tech, engineering & math for your kiddos at home and in the classroom. We’ve broken it down into four different hot topics: STEM Goes Green, STEM Challenges, Coding for Kids and STEM On a Budget. So bookmark this page & come back each day to see the next project!
Why Hands-On STEM?
When kids get their hands on exciting projects, it can inspire them to learn. As I’m guessing you’ve heard before, the learning pyramid shows that people learn about 5% by hearing about something, 10% by reading about it, 30% by seeing a demonstration, but a whopping 75% by doing it for themselves. So each and every one of these 60 activities gives kids an opportunity to do science, technology, engineering and math in a way that helps them learn the skills they need in the 21st century.
STEM Goes Green
The first week of our Hands-On STEM series is all about the earth. Saving it with recycling, upcycling and more. And learning about nature and being inspired by what we find. So come back to check out wind science, small part play in nature, upcycled flower gardens and more.
- Recycled Plastic Flowers Art & Science Project || Left Brain Craft Brain
- Upcycled STEM – Take Apart Computers || Little Bins for Little Hands
- Wind Powered STEM Challenge – LEGO Rescue || STEAM Powered Family
- Outdoors STEM: Build a Bridge || Preschool Powol Packets
- Green STEM Challenge: Light from Lemons|| Planet Smarty Pants
- Loose Parts and Natural Materials with Toddlers || Bambini Travel
- Geology for Kids || Rhythms of Play
- Repurpose Dryer Lint for Gardening with Kids || Capri + 3
- Umbrella Counting & Color Sorting || Artsy Craftsy Mom
- Recycled DIY Can Telephones || Lemon Lime Adventures
- Trash Tower Building Challenge || Our Daily Craft
Life is a challenge, so let’s prepare our kids for it. But not in just any old way. Let’s teach them to think like engineers with these fun and engaging STEM challenges.
- Travel Playdough Engineering Kit || Lemon Lime Adventures
- LEGO Engineering Preschool Challenge || Preschool Powol Packets
- Magnetic Superhero Challenge || Handmade Kids Art
- How to Bend a Pencil Without Breaking It || Edventures with Kids
- Invitation to Build a Tower || Playground Parkbench
- Paper Bag STEM Challenges || Little Bins for Little Hands
- Make it Move! Challenge || STEAM Powered Family
- Hardware Store STEM Scavenger Hunt || Left Brain Craft Brain
- Simple Pendulum Experiment || JDaniel4’s Mom
Coding for Kids
Coding. It’s the language of the future. And all of our kids can learn it! So here are a bunch of fun ways to introduce it… There’s going to be stuff for little kids & big kids. Free coding stuff. Wearable codes. And MORE!
- How to Create a Virtual Journal with HTML || Go Science Girls
- Build an Algorithm on the Floor || JDaniel4’s Mom
- Screen Free Coding for Preschool & Kindergarten || Science Kiddo
- Superhero Coding Game || Little Bins for Little Hands
- Coding Quiet Book || Nerdy Mama
- Free Websites That Teach Coding for Kids || Preschool Powol Packets
- Fun Ways Kids Can Learn to Code || Mama Smiles
- Middle School Coding Projects for Beginners || Look! We’re Learning!
STEM On a Budget
The number one piece of feedback I hear about STEM activities is about cost. Everything’s too expensive! So we’ve put our creative energy to work finding you frugal ways to get as much fun and learning in as possible. Science, tech, engineering & math don’t have to break the bank!
- How to Make Plastic from Milk || STEAM Powered Family
- STEM Blocks Challenge || Whimsical Days
- 52 Free Science Projects for Kids || Planet Smarty Pants
- Growing Strawberries STEM Challenge || The Educators’ Spin On It
- Make a STE(A)M Cart in 5 Easy Steps || Handmade Kids Art
- Create a Backyard Science Lab for Less Than $10 || Edventures with Kids
- Inexpensive STEM Ideas || Little Bins for Little Hands
- 16 (Almost) Free Kitchen Science Experiments for Kids || The Science Kiddo
- 50 Creative Weather Activities || Artsy Momma Blog
- 10 Budget STEM Activities for Kids || Kid World Citizen
- STEM Activities with Household Items || Mama Smiles
- Playing with the Refraction of Light || Go Science Girls
- Simple Math Ideas with Q-tips || Math Geek Mama
February 29 – It’s Leap Year Y’all!!
Looking for some more STEAM inspiration that you can use right now? Instant gratification style? Check out, STEAM Explorers!! The coolest new creative experience for kids is here! Think digital magazine meets online project portal in a safe, kid-friendly environment. (No more worrying about what might be hidden in that YouTube vid!) All engineer, teacher, and mom-approved. And most definitely KID APPROVED!
- A monthly digital magazine with cool themes that's fun to read
- Hands-on, exciting projects the kids will love.
- Science, tech, engineering, art, and math learning YOU’LL love.
- Delicious recipes the kids can make.
- Fun printables and games
Biology is everywhere! This issue takes a peek into plants, animals, and microorganisms, the amazing living things thriving all around us. Inside you’ll find fun activities for biology branches like botany, physiology, microbiology, and ecology. The kids will love creating petri dish paint cells, baking cinnamon DNA twists, helping seeds grow, building a food chain automata toy, and so much more!
All packed up in an easy-to-do package, ready for kids ages 6-12 to have fun.