Don’t you love how everything seems to light up at the holidays? Christmas trees. People’s houses. Menorahs. This year I wanted our presents to light up as well so I put together these cute holiday gift tags just waiting for a touch of brightness. You and the kids can light up Rudolph’s nose, the star on a Christmas tree, or a beautiful snowflake. I’m making these for all our presents this year, they’re that easy!!
Light Up Holiday Gift Tags Supplies Needed
Here’s a list of what you need to make the light up gift tags. I’ve pulled together an adorable set of printable tags for you. To get your free printable tags emailed to you, simply fill out the form below.
Please note, as an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases (at no extra cost to you). You can see the whole list in one place in my Amazon circuit card supply list here.
- 8 1/2″ x 11″ white card stock or scrapbook paper
- Red, yellow & blue LEDs
- CR2032 coin cell batteries
- Green, red & silver foil tape
- Double Sided Tape
- Light Up Holiday Gift Tags Printable
How to Make Light Up Holiday Gift Tags
- Print the Light Up Holiday Gift Tags Printable and cut tags out along the dotted lines.
- Poke two holes in the spot where the LED will go (Rudolph’s nose, the tree’s star, the center of the snowflake) about 1/4″ apart with the pin. Insert LED all the way until flush with the paper. Flip over the tag and bend the LED contacts at a 90º angle until they are flat with the paper. Insert the battery between the contacts (the long one is the +) and tape with the foil tape. I love using the Scotch® Expressions foil tape for this project because the battery area is just as cute as the front plus the tape sticks really well. Then secure the battery to the card with a piece of double-sided tape.
- Tags can be attached to gift packaging with Scotch® Create double-sided tape (my craft drawer must-have!) or you can punch a hole on the top and add ribbon or twine.
More Festive Holiday Activities
You and the kids will love these Christmas crafting and STEAM ideas!
Slime Balls Holiday Gifts for Kids
Mermaid Sequin Christmas Countdown
Christmas Science, Tech, Engineering, Art, and Math Fun for Kids
Looking for some more holiday STEAM inspiration that use can use right now? Instant gratification style? Check out STEAM Kids Christmas EBook! It’s packed with 25 days of festive projects (plus an adorable printable advent calendar!) that will wow the boredom right out of your kids.
12 thoughts on “Christmas STEM: Light Up Holiday Gift Tags”
Thanks for this! I’d love to try this idea at one of our STEAM classes. Where is the best place (not online) to locate the lights and batteries?
Hi Beth! I love Radio Shack for LEDs & batteries when I don’t want to wait for online. Also, battery powered tealights from the dollar store can usually be taken apart for an LED & battery.
Pingback: Super Easy Light Up Rudolph Christmas Ornament - Left Brain Craft Brain
Thank you so much for this! It was the perfect activity for my 4th graders to learn about circuits and energy. We used 1/2 sheets of colored cardstock folded in half to make cards and added the lights. We loved it, and so did the principal!
So glad you and the kids loved it! Thanks for giving it a try.
Pingback: Cards Blog
Pingback: Christmas STEM: Light Up Holiday Gift Tags • Little Genius International Kindergarten and Educational Center
Pingback: Light Up Holiday Gift Tags - Misshumblebee's Blog
Pingback: 12 Days of Christmas STEAM Activities for Kids | Our Family Code
Pingback: 3 Easy DIY Circuits For Kids That Make For Fun Gifts! - iSwitch
Pingback: December STEAM Activity Calendar - Left Brain Craft Brain
Pingback: 20 Christmas STEM Activities - Mom For All Seasons
Comments are closed.