Have you ever had a freak shake before? When someone asked me if I wanted one last time I was at a festival I went “a what??” A freak shake is a totally over the top milk shake filled with themed extras, toppers, flavors, sauces, and more. So today’s post is a delicious Star Wars-themed freak shake. And of course I had to make it in honor of my favorite character Chewbacca. Read on to see how to make your own Wookie Shake, a caramel chocolate milkshake topped with delicious extras!
What’s in a Wookie Shake?
This Wookie Shake is a deliciously creamy, carmel and chocolate milkshake. It’s topped with Chewie’s belt, of course, and whipped cream, chocolate sauce, and a special extra treat.
Instructions: Make Chewbacca’s Belt
To make Chewbacca’s belt, you’ll need a few ingredients, mainly some fondant. You can always hop to the end of the post for the full recipe. You’ll also want to make these belts the night before serving your shakes so the royal icing has time to harden.Jump to Recipe
The first step is to roll out some brown fondant and then cut it into a rectangle. I like to roll my fondant on parchment paper sprinkled with a little powdered sugar to keep it from sticking. Don’t use too much, though, or it will get dry and crack.
Next, mix up your royal icing. I’ve included a recipe with household ingredients you already have, but if you’re planning ahead, I love using meringue powder too. You can find my meringue powder royal icing recipe here. Then pipe some white rectangles to mimic Chewie’s belt with the royal icing.
Finally, make a little brown royal icing with gel food coloring and add a stripe of light brown down the middle.
Instructions: Make the Shake
To make the shake, just pop all your ingredients into the blender and give it a whirl. I think this shake would be delicious with a little coffee edge for the adults. Just add some instant espresso powder to the mix. Or make it even more adult with a dash of Amaretto or Baileys.
Now it’s time to fill the glass with Star Wars magic :) For extra drama, give the glass a drizzle with chocolate sauce. Simply tilt it on its’ side a bit and squirt the chocolate sauce onto the sides and rotate. Then pour your milkshake in.
Now add the goodies… Chewbacca’s belt, a peanut butter ho ho, some whipped cream, and chocolate curls. And you have this gloriously over-the-top freak shake!!
More Star Wars Ideas
If you have Star Wars fans in the house, I’ve got a bunch of fun stuff for them! Even from some of the newest Star Wars productions like The Mandalorian! Welceom Baby Yoda! This adorably fuzzy Baby Yoda Keychain Charm is super easy to make.
Caramel Chocolate Chewbacca Milkshake
- 2 egg whites
- 3 cup powdered sugar divided
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- brown and black gel food coloring
- 3 disposable piping bags fitted with #2 tips
- 1 container brown fondant
- 5-6 scoops vanilla ice cream
- 5 tablespoons caramel sauce
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 can whipped cream
- 1 wooden skewer
- 1 Peanut Butter Ho Ho
- 1 bottle Torani Dark Chocolate Sauce
- 1 container dark chocolate curls (either homemade or purchased)
- 1 milkshake glass
- Take out the fondant out of the plastic container and place into the microwave for 5-7 seconds until slightly soft so that you can mold it easily.
- Sprinkle the 1 C of powdered sugar onto a cutting board and place the fondant onto it.
- Using a rolling pin, roll out the fondant to 1/4 inch thick.
- Cut the belt 3 inches in length and 1/2 inch in width.
- Set aside to completely dry.
Royal Icing Instructions
- Using a standing mixer, combine all ingredients ( Egg whites, cream of tarter, 2 C powder sugar, vanilla extract and almond extract) and mix on medium speed using a whisk attachment.
- Mix for about 7 minutes until thick and white.
- Divide the icing into 3 bowls.
- Using a toothpick, add a tiny drop of Black gel food coloring into one bowl and mix. You will want a light grey.
- Using the same toothpick with the Black gel food coloring on it, add a few more drops of black into the second bowl and mix. You will want a darker grey.
- In the third bowl, using a new toothpick, add in several drops of brown food coloring and mix. You will be looking for a teddy bear brown.
Decorate Chewbacca’s Belt
- Scoop each of the colors into their own bags fitted with the #2 tips.
- Using the light grey, alternate the size in rectangles onto the belt. Fill in the rectangles with the same icing.
- Using the brown icing, pipe a thick line going straight down the center of the belt.
- Using the darker grey color, pipe a dot on the brown line in between the grey rectangles.
- Let dry for 2 hours.
Caramel Shake Instructions
- Using a blender or a milkshake machine, combine the vanilla bean ice cream, caramel sauce and milk and blend until combined.
- Using the chocolate sauce, drizzle the chocolate sauce into the glass.
- Pour milkshake into the glass and top with whipped cream.
- Place the belt into the front of the whipped cream.
- Place the Peanut butter HoHo onto the wooden skewer and place into the left side of the whipped cream.
- Sprinkle with the chocolate curls.