You’re all ready to go back to school. But are the kids? Help ease them into the first days of a new classroom or club with these Ice Breakers Building Cards. These cards combine fun ice breaker questions with a building activity into a perfect Back to School STEM session.
Why Use Ice Breaker Games
Starting something new can be hard. At any age. That’s why quick ice breakers, activities or games used to welcome or warm up the conversation between people, can be so helpful. They’re especially helpful if they add a layer of entertainment in an ice breaker game or challenge, like building. The ice breaker questions on these cards are fun, sometimes silly, and get kids talking to each other. Who doesn’t like to talk about their favorite video game or whether they’d rather be a unicorn or narwhal? These cards work well as first day of school ice breakers for elementary school, in classrooms, clubs or anywhere that kids are getting to know each other.
Ice Breakers Building Cards Supplies Needed
- White cardstock
- Regular copy weight paper if using the worksheet
- 5 mil laminating pouches (optional)
- Laminator (optional)
- Ice Breakers Building Cards printable template (Click the button below to download.)
How to Make the Ice Breakers Building Cards
These cards are super easy to prep for class. 5 minutes, and you’re ready to go! And ready to add some engineering to your get to know each other sessions.
- The first step is to download and print this template, double-sided. (Click the button below to download.)
- Cut out along the outer dotted grey lines.
- Cut along the solid black slot lines into the cards as well.
How to Add STEAM to School This Fall
Back to School is a great time to try something new. And exciting. Like STEAM! We’ve created an amazing resource for you to make adding science, technology, engineering, art, and math to your day easy and fun. STEAM Explorers is a monthly STEAM program complete with a digital ebook unit study, online project portal, helpful videos and more.
And for just a few days… IT’S 50% OFF!!
How to Use the Ice Breakers Building Cards
This is where getting to know each other gets fun and hands-on in this ice breaker activity. Pair up the kids into teams. Then have the kids grab a card and share their answer with their partner. They can write the answer down on the included worksheet as well if desired. Encourage them to share the why behind their answer, too. Then they can start building! Alternate answering questions with their partner to add cards to the structure. Simply insert one card into another at the slots on the sides.
How to Make the Ice Breakers Building Cards Last Longer
So I’m guessing that you might want to use these cards more than a few times. So guess what? You can laminate these cards!! You just need to rearrange the steps a little.
- Print out the cards and cut along the outer lines and inner lines of each card. Do not cut the notches!
- Arrange cut cards in a 5 ml laminating pouch, leaving some space between the individual cards. Laminate according to your machine’s directions.
- Cut out individual cards and round the corners.
- Cut two slots per long edge and one slot per short edge just like in the template.
More Back to School STEM and STEAM
Get the year started off with more fun STEM and STEAM activities like this School Bus Circuit Card.
Or spice up math fact practice time with building cards, too!