The number one question I get about STEM projects is “Where can I find the supplies cheaper?” Teachers budgets are tight, almost non-existent. Household money in many families is tight too. But this shouldn’t be a deterrent to learning about Science, Technology, Engineering and Math. So I gathered up some of my friends and we brainstormed ways to learn without spending a lot. Their creative ideas include cool stuff like backyard STEM, make your own plastic and learning in the kitchen. All great stuff, all really cheap.
STEM On a Budget Hands-On Activities for Kids
These activities show that you don’t have to have a lot of money to have great learning activities. You can make your owns toys, do some edible science or create by tinkering.
- STEM Activities with Household Items || Mama Smiles
- Playing with the Refraction of Light || Go Science Girls
- Simple Math Ideas with Q-tips || Math Geek Mama
- Chromatography Butterflies || Kidz Activities
- 10 Budget STEM Activities for Kids || Kid World Citizen
- How to Make Plastic from Milk || STEAM Powered Family
- STEM Blocks Challenge || Whimsical Days
- 52 Free Science Projects for Kids || Planet Smarty Pants
- Growing Strawberries STEM Challenge || The Educators’ Spin On It
- Make a STE(A)M Cart in 5 Easy Steps || Handmade Kids Art
- Create a Backyard Science Lab for Less Than $10 || Edventures with Kids
- Inexpensive STEM Ideas || Little Bins for Little Hands
- 16 (Almost) Free Kitchen Science Experiments for Kids || The Science Kiddo
- 50 Creative Weather Activities || Artsy Momma Blog
- States of Matter || Kelly’s Classroom
28 Days of Hands-On STEM Activities for Kids
These STEM On a Budget activities are part of an amazing series of hands-on STEM activities for kids. I’ve joined up with 28 other bloggers and we’re creating 60+ fun science, technology, engineering & math activities. Click here for the full list of activities or check out our other topics: STEM Goes Green, STEM Challenges and Coding for Kids.
Love STEM? Need even more? Sign up for the Left Brain Craft Brain newsletter!