The number one question I get about STEM projects is “Where can I find the supplies cheaper?” Teachers’ budgets are tight, almost non-existent. Household money in many families is tight too. But this shouldn’t be a deterrent to learning about Science, Technology, Engineering and Math. So I gathered up some of my friends and we brainstormed ways to learn without spending a lot. Their creative ideas include cool stuff like backyard STEM, make your own plastic and learning in the kitchen. All great stuff, all really cheap.
STEM On a Budget Hands-On Activities for Kids
These activities show that you don’t have to have a lot of money to have great learning activities. You can make your owns toys, do some edible science or create by tinkering.
Technology Learning Activities on a Budget
First up are some screen-free coding ideas. No expensive tech to buy!!
If-Then Backyard Coding Game for Kids || Left Brain Craft Brain
Color by Coding || Left Brain Craft Brain
Kick up your next coloring session with some coding in these fun color by number coloring pages that incorporate ASCII binary code into the mix. Kids will love both the astronaut and unicorn versions!
Recycled STEM Activites for Kids
One of the best ways to do STEM on a budget is to use recyled materials. Here are a few of our favorites on Left Brain Craft Brain.
DIY Recycled Suspension Bridge || Left Brain Craft Brain
Recycled Balloon Car || Left Brain Craft Brain
8 Ways to Play with an Old Keyboard || Left Brain Craft Brain
More Inexpensive STEM Activities for Kids
This list just keeps going! Check out some budget STEM ideas from some of my favorite bloggers.
- STEM Activities with Household Items || Mama Smiles
- Playing with the Refraction of Light || Go Science Girls
- Simple Math Ideas with Q-tips || Math Geek Mama
- Chromatography Butterflies || Kidz Activities
- 10 Budget STEM Activities for Kids || Kid World Citizen
- How to Make Plastic from Milk || STEAM Powered Family
- STEM Blocks Challenge || Whimsical Days
- 52 Free Science Projects for Kids || Planet Smarty Pants
- Growing Strawberries STEM Challenge || The Educators’ Spin On It
- Make a STE(A)M Cart in 5 Easy Steps || Handmade Kids Art
- Create a Backyard Science Lab for Less Than $10 || Edventures with Kids
- Inexpensive STEM Ideas || Little Bins for Little Hands
- 16 (Almost) Free Kitchen Science Experiments for Kids || The Science Kiddo
- 50 Creative Weather Activities || Artsy Momma Blog
- States of Matter || Kelly’s Classroom
28 Days of Hands-On STEM Activities for Kids
These STEM On a Budget activities are part of an amazing series of hands-on STEM activities for kids. I’ve joined up with 28 other bloggers and we’re creating 60+ fun science, technology, engineering & math activities. Click here for the full list of activities or check out our other topics: STEM Goes Green, STEM Challenges and Coding for Kids.
Science, Tech, Engineering, Art, and Math Fun for KidsLooking for some more STEAM inspiration that use can use right now? Instant gratification style? Check out STEAM Kids: 50+ Hands-on Science, Technology, Engineering, Art, & Math Hands-On Projects for Kids ebook! It’s packed full of a year’s worth fun learning activities that will wow the boredom right out of your kids.
Subscribe to our Newsletter!
Get more STEAM (science, technology, engineering, art, and math) right in your inbox!